When Your Prayers Don’t Sound Pretty

​


Sometimes my prayers sound beautiful.

I know exactly what I want to say. The words come easily. I feel close to God, my heart feels peaceful, and I finish thinking, That was a good prayer.

And then there are other days.

“God… I don’t even know what to say.”

That’s it.

That’s the prayer.

And I’m learning that God isn’t any less present in the second one.

Prayer Isn’t a Performance

I think sometimes we make prayer more complicated than Jesus ever intended it to be.

We hear someone pray beautifully at church and think:

I could never pray like that.

They know exactly what to say.

They remember Scripture.

They sound confident.

Meanwhile, we’re over here wondering whether we’re even doing it correctly.

But prayer was never supposed to be a performance.

You aren’t auditioning for God.

You aren’t being graded on your vocabulary.

And you certainly don’t need to impress the One who already knows every thought in your heart.

Jesus tells us in Matthew 6:7–8:

“And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words… your Father knows what you need before you ask him.”

God already knows.

Prayer isn’t about giving Him information He doesn’t have.

Prayer is relationship.

Sometimes the Most Honest Prayer Is the Shortest One

There have been moments when all I could really say was:

“Lord, help me.”

“Jesus, I’m scared.”

“God, I need You.”

“Please give me wisdom.”

“Thank You.”

“I don’t understand.”

And you know what?

Those are prayers.

We see incredibly simple prayers throughout Scripture.

One of my favorites happens in Mark 9.

A father desperately wants Jesus to help his son. Jesus tells him that everything is possible for one who believes, and the father responds:

“I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!” — Mark 9:24

I love that.

He doesn’t pretend his faith is stronger than it is.

He essentially tells Jesus:

“I believe… but I’m struggling. Help me.”

And Jesus doesn’t shame him for it.

God Wants the Real You

There is something freeing about realizing you don’t have to put on your “Christian voice” before talking to God.

You can tell Him you’re angry.

You can tell Him you’re confused.

You can tell Him you’re disappointed.

You can tell Him you’re scared.

You can tell Him you don’t understand what He’s doing.

You can even tell Him you’re struggling to trust Him.

Read through the Psalms sometime and you’ll discover people doing exactly that.

David didn’t hide every messy emotion from God.

He brought it to Him.

And I think that’s an important distinction.

Faith doesn’t mean pretending difficult emotions don’t exist.

Faith means bringing those emotions to God instead of running away from Him because of them.

When You Don’t Have the Words

And then there are moments when we genuinely cannot find the words at all.

I love what Romans 8:26 says:

“We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans.”

Even our inability to find the right words doesn’t separate us from God.

Sometimes prayer might look like sitting quietly in His presence.

Sometimes it’s crying.

Sometimes it’s whispering one sentence over and over.

Sometimes it’s opening Scripture because you don’t know what else to say.

Sometimes it’s simply:

“Jesus.”

And He knows everything contained in that one word.

Just Talk to Him

If you’ve ever avoided praying because you don’t think you’re “good at it,” I want you to know something:

You don’t have to be good at prayer to pray.

You learn to pray by praying.

Talk to God while you’re driving.

Talk to Him while you’re washing dishes.

Talk to Him before you walk into work.

Talk to Him when something wonderful happens.

Talk to Him when your heart breaks.

Talk to Him when you’re sitting in church.

Talk to Him at 2:00 in the morning when nobody else knows you’re awake.

Let prayer become less of an event you have to prepare for and more of an ongoing conversation with Someone you love.

Some prayers will be long.

Some will be beautiful.

Some will be messy.

Some will consist of three words.

He hears them all.

So don’t worry about making your prayer sound pretty today.

Just make it honest.

Your Father is listening. 💜





A Prayer

Father, thank You that I don’t need perfect words to come to You. Help me remember that prayer isn’t a performance but a relationship with You. When I have plenty of words, let me speak them honestly. When I have only a few, remind me that they are enough. And when I have no words at all, help me rest in knowing that You still understand my heart.

Teach me to talk with You throughout every part of my day and to come to You exactly as I am.

Amen.




Reflection Question

What would you say to God today if you stopped worrying about saying it the “right” way?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Years of Praying for a Baby

Why I Keep Saying Yes to Serving