Why I Keep Saying Yes to Serving



Why I Keep Saying Yes to Serving

If you’ve spent much time around me at church, you’ve probably noticed something about me:

I say yes a lot.

Need someone to help? I’ll do it.

Need someone to step in? I’m there.

Need an extra set of hands? Just tell me where you need me.

And sometimes I wonder if people look at me and think, Does she ever say no? 😂

But the truth is, there is a reason I keep saying yes.

I genuinely love serving.

There is something about being in God’s house and knowing that I can help—even in the smallest way—that fills my heart.

It doesn’t have to be something important.

It doesn’t have to come with a title.

Nobody has to notice.

If there is a need and I am able to meet it, I want to be there.

Because somewhere along my walk with Jesus, I realized that serving Him isn’t only about the things we do where everyone can see us.

Sometimes serving Jesus looks like teaching.

Sometimes it looks like encouraging someone who is struggling.

Sometimes it looks like showing up early, staying late, cleaning something, carrying something, helping a leader, loving on a kid, praying for someone, or simply noticing that something needs to be done and doing it.

And I love that.


My Yes Is an Act of Obedience

There is another reason I keep saying yes.

I want to be obedient to God.

I don’t want God to have to find someone else because I was too comfortable to move.

If He gives me an opportunity to serve, love, encourage, teach, help, or step into something He is calling me toward, I want my answer to be:

“Yes, Lord. I’m here.”

That doesn’t mean saying yes to absolutely everything or never resting. Even Jesus withdrew from the crowds to rest and pray.

But I never want inconvenience to be the reason I ignore something God has placed on my heart.

I want to live with open hands.

I want God to know that if He asks me to go, I’ll go.

If He asks me to serve, I’ll serve.

If He asks me to step outside of my comfort zone, I might be nervous—but I’ll step.

Because obedience isn’t always comfortable.

But it is worth it.


Serving Isn’t About Being Seen

One of my favorite reminders about serving comes from Colossians 3:23–24:

“Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters…”

That changes everything.

When we understand who we’re ultimately serving, suddenly the little things aren’t so little anymore.

The task nobody notices?

Jesus sees it.

The extra time you gave?

Jesus sees it.

The person you encouraged when nobody else knew they were struggling?

Jesus sees it.

The prayers nobody heard?

Jesus heard them.

The quiet acts of obedience that will never receive applause?

He knows every single one.

I don’t need everyone to see what I’m doing.

I just want what I’m doing to point back to Him.


Church Feels Like Home

I also think part of my willingness to serve comes from something incredibly simple:

I love being at church.

I love God’s people.

I love watching people worship.

I love seeing children and teenagers learning about Jesus.

I love watching someone walk through the doors and slowly realize they’ve found a place where they belong.

I love seeing people use completely different gifts for the same purpose.

And I love knowing that, somehow, God allows ordinary people like us to participate in what He is doing.

Church isn’t simply somewhere I attend.

It’s a family I get to serve alongside.

And when you love your family, helping doesn’t feel like a burden.

It feels like a privilege.


Here I Am, Lord

I don’t know every place God will ask me to serve throughout my life.

I don’t know every uncomfortable yes that is still ahead of me.

But I know what I want the posture of my heart to be.

Available.

Willing.

Obedient.

I want to be someone God can use.

Not because I am the most qualified.

Not because I always know exactly what I’m doing.

Not because I’m never nervous.

But because I’m willing to say:

“Here I am, Lord. Use me.”

And if my small yes can help someone encounter Jesus, feel loved, grow in their faith, or simply know that somebody cares about them…

I’ll keep saying yes. 💜



A Prayer

Lord, thank You for allowing me to serve You and Your people. Give me a willing and obedient heart that notices the needs around me. Help me serve with humility, joy, and love—not for recognition, but for You. Teach me when to step forward, when to rest, and how to faithfully use whatever gifts You have placed in my hands. Wherever You need me, help me have the courage to say, “Here I am. Use me.” Amen.



Reflection Question

What is one place God may be asking you to say “yes” and serve right now?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Years of Praying for a Baby

When Your Prayers Don’t Sound Pretty