God Is Not Annoyed That You Keep Coming Back

​

Have you ever started praying about something and thought:

God, I know we’ve talked about this before…

Maybe it’s the same fear.

The same temptation.

The same insecurity.

The same person.

The same prayer.

The same thing you promised God you were going to surrender—only to find yourself picking it right back up again.

And eventually, embarrassment starts creeping in.

Surely God is tired of this.

Surely I should be stronger by now.

Surely He’s wondering why I’m back here AGAIN.

But there’s something I think somebody needs to hear today:

God is not annoyed that you keep coming back to Him.


He Already Knew You Would Need Grace Again

Sometimes I think we imagine God’s patience the way we experience human patience.

People get frustrated.

People become exhausted.

People eventually say, “We’ve already talked about this.”

So we begin expecting God to respond the same way.

But Scripture tells us something beautiful about His character:

“The Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love.”
— Psalm 103:8

Slow to anger.

Abounding in love.

God knew every weakness you would struggle with before you ever came to Him.

Your struggle today didn’t surprise Him.

And somehow, He still invited you near.


Bring Him the Same Thing Again

Maybe yesterday you prayed:

“God, help me stop worrying.”

And today you’re worried again.

Go back.

Maybe you told Him you were surrendering something…

and then took control of it again twenty minutes later.

Go back.

Maybe you’ve asked Him the same question a hundred times.

Go back.

Maybe you fell into the same sin you’ve been fighting.

Repent.

And go back.

Don’t let shame convince you to run away from the One you need to run toward.

Hebrews 4:16 tells us:

“Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.”

I love those words.

Approach.

Not hide.

Not wait until you’ve fixed yourself.

Not come back once you’ve proven you’re worthy.

Approach Him.


Grace Doesn’t Mean We Stop Trying

Of course, God’s patience isn’t permission to become comfortable with sin.

When God reveals something in us that needs to change, we should take it seriously.

Repentance matters.

Obedience matters.

Growth matters.

Sometimes we need accountability, boundaries, difficult decisions, or help from other believers.

Grace doesn’t mean:

“It doesn’t matter what I do.”

Grace means:

“When I fall, I know where to run.”

Jesus isn’t giving us permission to stay exactly where we are.

He’s giving us the grace to keep following Him while He changes us.


Growth Isn’t Always a Straight Line

I wish spiritual growth looked like this:

Learn lesson.

Never struggle again.

Next lesson. 😂

Wouldn’t that be convenient?

But sometimes God teaches me something…

and then teaches me again.

And again.

And occasionally I’m sitting there thinking:

“Okay Lord, apparently we’re doing this lesson for the 47th time.”

But maybe repetition doesn’t always mean we’re failing.

Sometimes we’re learning something more deeply.

Sometimes we’re growing slowly.

Sometimes the victory is that the thing that once kept you away from God now makes you run straight toward Him.

That’s growth too.


Look at Peter

Peter is one of my favorite examples of this.

He loved Jesus.

He was passionate.

He was bold.

And he also got things wrong.

A lot.

He spoke when he shouldn’t.

He doubted.

He misunderstood.

He acted impulsively.

And eventually, after insisting he would never abandon Jesus…

Peter denied even knowing Him.

Three times.

Imagine the shame.

But that wasn’t the end of Peter’s story.

After His resurrection, Jesus met Peter again.

He restored him.

He gave him responsibility.

He still had purpose for him.

Peter’s failure wasn’t bigger than Jesus’ grace.

And neither is yours.


Maybe You Need to Come Back Today

Maybe you’ve been avoiding God lately.

Not because you stopped believing.

But because you’re embarrassed.

You said you’d do better.

You said you’d trust Him.

You said you’d stop.

You said you’d surrender it.

And here you are again.

Friend…

go back.

Talk to Him.

Tell Him the truth.

Repent where you need to repent.

Ask for help.

Open your Bible again.

Pray again.

Try again.

You don’t have to give God the polished version of yourself.

He already knows what’s underneath it.

And He still says:

Come near.


Keep Coming Back

Maybe tomorrow you’ll need Him for the exact same thing.

Come back tomorrow.

And the day after that?

Come back again.

Not because the struggle doesn’t matter.

But because relationship with Jesus is exactly where transformation happens.

You aren’t going to become more like Him by hiding from Him.

So keep seeking.

Keep repenting.

Keep learning.

Keep surrendering.

Keep letting Him change you.

And whenever shame whispers:

“God must be so tired of you…”

remember who He actually says He is.

Compassionate.

Gracious.

Slow to anger.

Abounding in love.

Your Father isn’t surprised to see you standing at His door again.

Go in. 💜




🪻 A Prayer

Father,

Thank You for being patient with me.

You know the things I struggle with over and over again. You know every weakness, every failure, every fear, and every place where I still need to grow.

Please forgive me where I have sinned and help me change the things You are asking me to change.

And when shame tells me to hide from You, remind me to run toward You instead.

Thank You that Your grace is bigger than my worst day.

Help me keep coming back.

Keep teaching me.

Keep changing me.

And make me more like Jesus.

Amen. 💜



Reflection Question

Is there something you’ve stopped bringing to God because you feel like you’ve already asked Him about it too many times?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Years of Praying for a Baby

Why I Keep Saying Yes to Serving

When Your Prayers Don’t Sound Pretty