Jesus Is Still Good on the Hard Days

​


Some days, saying “God is good” comes easily.

The prayer gets answered.

The good news finally comes.

You feel peaceful.

Your family is doing well.

You laugh a lot.

You notice little blessings everywhere.

And your heart naturally says:

“Thank You, Jesus.”

But then there are the other days.

The days when something goes wrong.

The days when you’re disappointed.

The days when you’re exhausted before lunchtime.

The days when the prayer still hasn’t been answered.

The days when you cry in your car.

The days when you’re trying to encourage everyone else while quietly thinking:

God… I’m struggling today.

And I’ve been thinking about something lately:

Jesus is still good on those days too.


God’s Goodness Isn’t Based on My Circumstances

This can be difficult.

Because sometimes when life feels good, God feels good.

And when life hurts, we start wondering where He went.

But God’s character doesn’t change with my circumstances.

Hebrews 13:8 says:

“Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.”

That means the Jesus I worship on my best day is the same Jesus holding me on my worst one.

He didn’t become less faithful because something hurt.

He didn’t become less loving because I didn’t understand.

He didn’t become less good because the answer was no, not yet, or simply silence.

He is still Jesus.


You Don’t Have to Pretend the Day Isn’t Hard

I think sometimes Christians accidentally believe trusting God means putting a smile over everything.

Something hurts?

“God is good!”

You’re heartbroken?

“Everything happens for a reason!”

You’re exhausted?

“Just have faith!”

But Scripture gives us a much more honest picture of faith.

David cried out to God.

Job grieved.

Jeremiah lamented.

Jesus Himself wept.

Faith doesn’t require pretending pain doesn’t hurt.

You can say:

“God is good, and today is really hard.”

Both can be true.

You can trust Him and cry.

You can worship and grieve.

You can believe and still have questions.

God isn’t frightened by the parts of your heart that aren’t neatly wrapped in a Bible verse.

Bring those parts to Him too.


Sometimes Faith Looks Like Staying

There are days when worship feels powerful.

And then there are days when worship is simply whispering:

“Jesus, I’m still here.”

I think there’s something incredibly beautiful about that kind of faith.

The faith that stays when the feeling isn’t there.

The faith that keeps praying when the answer hasn’t come.

The faith that opens Scripture when life doesn’t make sense.

The faith that says:

“Lord, I don’t understand You right now… but I still want You.”

That’s not weak faith.

Sometimes that’s faith being strengthened.


Look Back Before You Look Ahead

When I’m afraid of what God is doing next, it helps me remember what He’s already done.

How many times did I think I wouldn’t make it through something?

And yet…

Here I am.

How many prayers has He already answered?

How many people has He placed in my life?

How many times has He provided something I didn’t even realize I needed?

How many times has He comforted me?

Redirected me?

Protected me?

Forgiven me?

Carried me?

Remembering God’s past faithfulness helps us trust Him with an uncertain future.

Psalm 77:11 says:

“I will remember the deeds of the Lord; yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago.”

Sometimes we need to remember.


Look for the Tiny Mercies

God’s goodness isn’t always revealed through enormous miracles.

Sometimes it’s incredibly quiet.

A friend checking on you.

A song arriving at exactly the right moment.

A beautiful sunset.

Someone making you laugh when you desperately needed it.

A verse that suddenly hits differently.

A warm cup of coffee.

A hug.

Five peaceful minutes in an otherwise chaotic day.

A reminder that tomorrow is another morning.

These things don’t erase pain.

But sometimes they’re little whispers that say:

“I’m still here.”


And If You Can’t See the Good Yet…

Maybe you’re reading this during a genuinely difficult season.

And maybe right now, you can’t find the beautiful lesson.

That’s okay.

You don’t have to force one.

You don’t have to turn today’s pain into tomorrow’s testimony before you’re ready.

Sometimes all you can do is hold onto Jesus.

And sometimes all you can pray is:

“Lord, I know You’re good. Help me believe it here too.”

That’s enough to bring Him.


Jesus Is Still Jesus

Whatever today looks like…

Jesus hasn’t changed.

If today is beautiful:

Praise Him.

If today is ordinary:

Walk with Him.

If today hurts:

Run to Him.

If today makes absolutely no sense:

Hold onto Him.

Because our hope was never supposed to rest in having a life where nothing goes wrong.

Our hope rests in knowing Who walks with us when it does.

So if today is one of the hard ones, you don’t have to pretend.

Cry if you need to.

Ask questions.

Rest.

Pray badly.

Call someone.

Open your Bible.

Sit quietly with God.

And remind your heart:

This day may be hard.

But Jesus is still good.

And tomorrow?

He’ll still be Jesus. ๐Ÿ’œ




๐Ÿชป A Prayer

Jesus,

Thank You for being the same yesterday, today, and forever.

Some days it is easy for me to see Your goodness. Other days, pain, disappointment, fear, or exhaustion make it harder.

On those days, help me remember who You are.

I don’t want to pretend everything is okay when it isn’t. Instead, teach me to bring the hard things honestly to You.

Help me notice Your small mercies.

Remind me of Your past faithfulness.

And when I cannot understand what You’re doing, give me enough faith to simply stay close.

Today may change.

My circumstances may change.

My feelings may change.

But You do not.

Thank You for being my constant.

Amen. ๐Ÿ’œ



Reflection Question

When life gets difficult, what is one example of God’s past faithfulness that helps you remember He is still good?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Years of Praying for a Baby

Why I Keep Saying Yes to Serving

When Your Prayers Don’t Sound Pretty