Maybe This Is the Life You Once Prayed For

I caught myself thinking about something recently.
How many things in my life today were once things I prayed for?
Not everything.
There are still prayers I’m carrying.
There are still things I desperately hope God will do.
There are still parts of my story I don’t understand.
But when I stop looking only at what’s missing and actually look around…
God has already been so good to me.
And I wonder how often I rush past answered prayers because they’ve simply become part of my everyday life.
Remember When You Prayed for This?
Maybe there was a time you prayed for the people who are now sitting around your table.
Maybe you prayed for the church that now feels like home.
Maybe you asked God for friendships like the ones you have now.
Maybe you prayed for an opportunity that has become so normal you occasionally complain about it. π
Maybe you prayed to survive a season you thought would break you.
And now you’re standing on the other side.
We become accustomed to blessings so quickly.
Yesterday’s “Lord, please…”
can quietly become today’s ordinary.
And sometimes I think we need to stop and remember.
I prayed for this.
Gratitude Doesn’t Mean Everything Is Perfect
I want to be careful here.
Gratitude isn’t pretending you’re completely satisfied with every part of your life.
You can be thankful for what God has given you and still ache for something you’re waiting for.
You can celebrate an answered prayer while continuing to pray another one.
You can love your life and still have difficult days.
You can be grateful and still grieve.
Those things aren’t opposites.
Sometimes gratitude simply says:
“God, there are things I still don’t understand, but I don’t want my unanswered prayers to make me forget the ones You’ve already answered.”
Remember His Faithfulness
Psalm 103:2 says:
“Praise the Lord, my soul, and forget not all his benefits.”
I love the wording:
Forget not.
Because apparently we need reminding.
I certainly do.
We remember the disappointment.
We remember what didn’t happen.
We remember the prayer that hasn’t been answered yet.
We remember what someone else has that we wish we had.
But how often do we intentionally remember God’s faithfulness?
The door He opened.
The door He closed that we later realized needed closing.
The person He sent.
The provision that arrived.
The strength we somehow had.
The moment He redirected us.
The place He brought us.
The person we became along the way.
Ordinary Blessings Are Still Blessings
Not every blessing comes with dramatic music playing in the background. π
Sometimes God’s goodness looks like:
Coffee in your favorite mug.
Someone you love laughing in the next room.
A text from a friend.
A church family.
Food in the kitchen.
A pet curled up beside you.
A quiet morning.
Children laughing.
A job to go to.
A Bible with pages you’ve underlined over the years.
A sunset you almost didn’t notice.
A prayer whispered before bed.
Another ordinary day.
And maybe that’s part of the beauty.
God is present in ordinary things too.
Don’t Miss Today While Waiting for Tomorrow
This one hits me.
Because I’m a dreamer.
I think about what’s next.
What I’m praying for.
What I’m hoping God will do.
Where He’s leading me.
And there is nothing wrong with hope.
We should bring our desires to God.
But I don’t want to spend so much time staring at tomorrow that I miss what He’s doing today.
I don’t want to finally receive something I’ve prayed for only to immediately start looking for the next thing.
I want to learn how to stop.
Look around.
And say:
“Thank You, God. I noticed.”
Take Inventory of Your Prayers
Maybe today, instead of making another list of things you need from God, make a different list.
Write down what He’s already done.
Think back five years.
Ten years.
Think about versions of yourself who prayed desperately for things you barely think twice about today.
What would that version of you say if they could see you now?
Maybe they’d look around and whisper:
“He answered us.”
Not every prayer.
Maybe not the one you wanted most.
Maybe there are chapters you’re still waiting for Him to write.
But don’t let the unfinished parts of your story erase the evidence of His faithfulness in the chapters you’ve already lived.
This Life Isn’t Perfect
Mine isn’t.
Yours probably isn’t either.
There will always be something we could wish were different.
But maybe today doesn’t need to be perfect to be beautiful.
Maybe there’s something in this ordinary day worth thanking God for.
Maybe there’s something you’re living right now that an older version of you begged Him for.
And maybe the holiest thing you can do for a moment is simply stop long enough to notice it.
Look around.
Remember.
And whisper:
“Thank You, Jesus. I remember when I prayed for this.”
π
πͺ» A Prayer
Father,
Thank You for the prayers You’ve answered that I’ve sometimes forgotten were ever prayers.
Forgive me for the times I’ve focused so much on what I’m still waiting for that I’ve overlooked what You’ve already given me.
Teach me to notice Your goodness in ordinary days.
Help me remember Your faithfulness when I’m tempted to compare my life to someone else’s.
And Lord, You know the prayers I’m still carrying. I place those in Your hands too.
Give me hope for tomorrow without letting me miss the beauty You’ve placed in today.
Thank You for every answered prayer, every unexpected blessing, every closed door that protected me, and every moment You’ve carried me.
Help me become someone who notices.
Amen. π
Reflection Question
What’s something in your life today that you once prayed for?
Seriously—stop for a second and think about it. You might surprise yourself. π₯Ή
Comments
Post a Comment