You Don’t Have to Have It All Together to Come to Jesus

​

I think sometimes we accidentally convince ourselves that we need to clean ourselves up before we come to God.

We need to pray more first.

Read our Bible more.

Stop struggling with that thing.

Become more disciplined.

Fix our attitude.

Get our life together.

Then we’ll come closer to Jesus.

But that’s not how Jesus works.

Jesus doesn’t ask us to fix ourselves before we come to Him. He asks us to come.

Exactly as we are.

Jesus Never Asked for Perfection

One of the things I love most about reading the Gospels is noticing the people Jesus welcomed.

They weren’t people who had everything figured out.

They were hurting.

Confused.

Rejected.

Sinful.

Afraid.

Doubting.

Brokenhearted.

Ordinary.

And Jesus met them there.

He didn’t stand at a distance and tell them to come back when they were doing better.

He came near.

Matthew 11:28 says:

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.”

I love that Jesus says come.

Not fix everything, then come.

Not become worthy, then come.

Not stop struggling, then come.

Just…

Come.

Bring Him the Messy Parts, Too

Sometimes I think we’re comfortable bringing God the polished version of ourselves.

We bring Him our gratitude.

Our worship.

Our good days.

Our victories.

But what about everything else?

The anxiety.

The questions.

The anger.

The disappointment.

The temptation.

The exhaustion.

The prayers that sound more like, “God, I don’t even know what to say right now.”

Bring those too.

God already knows.

There is no part of your heart you can reveal to Him that will make Him suddenly say, “Oh. I didn’t know that.”

He knows you completely.

And He loves you.

Grace Isn’t Something You Earn

This is something I have to remind myself of, too.

We live in a world where we’re constantly earning things.

Work harder.

Do better.

Prove yourself.

Earn the promotion.

Earn the recognition.

Earn someone’s approval.

And if we’re not careful, we can bring that same mentality into our relationship with God.

But grace doesn’t work like that.

Ephesians 2:8 reminds us:

“For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith…”

Grace is a gift.

We don’t earn our way into God’s love.

We respond to the love He has already given us.

Let Jesus Meet You Here

Maybe your faith feels incredibly strong right now.

Or maybe you haven’t opened your Bible in weeks.

Maybe you’ve been praying every day.

Or maybe you don’t remember the last time you prayed.

Maybe you feel close to God.

Or maybe you’re wondering whether He could possibly still want you after everything you’ve done.

Wherever you are…

start there.

Talk to Him.

Even if the prayer is only:

“Jesus, I’m here.”

Open your Bible.

Even if you only read a few verses.

Sit quietly with Him.

Even if you don’t know what you’re supposed to say.

You don’t have to become some perfect version of yourself before you’re allowed to approach Jesus.

In fact, you never could.

That’s why we need Him.

Come As You Are—But Don’t Expect to Stay the Same

There’s something important about this that I don’t want to leave out.

Jesus welcomes us exactly where we are…

but His love changes us.

Following Jesus means allowing Him to shape our hearts, confront our sin, teach us obedience, and make us more like Him.

We don’t change ourselves so that Jesus will love us.

We change because we’ve encountered the One who already does.

That’s the beauty of grace.

Jesus meets us in our mess.

And then, patiently and lovingly, He begins making something beautiful.

So today, if you’ve been keeping your distance from God because you think you need to “do better” first…

Come back.

The door isn’t locked.

You haven’t missed your chance.

You don’t have to have all the right words.

You don’t have to have everything figured out.

You just have to come.

Jesus will meet you there. 💜



A Prayer

Jesus, thank You that I don’t have to pretend with You. You know every beautiful and messy part of my heart, and still You invite me closer. Help me stop believing that I have to earn Your love. Give me the courage to come to You exactly where I am and the willingness to let You change me. Draw me closer, teach me Your ways, and make my heart more like Yours.

Amen.



Reflection Question

Is there something you’ve been trying to “fix” on your own instead of bringing it honestly to Jesus?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Years of Praying for a Baby

Why I Keep Saying Yes to Serving

When Your Prayers Don’t Sound Pretty