What If God Is Waiting on Your Yes?

There are prayers I think we love praying:

“God, use me.”

“God, show me my purpose.”

“God, let my life make a difference.”

“God, send me.”

They sound beautiful.

Until God actually asks us to do something. 😂

Then suddenly it’s:

“Wait… THAT?”

“Are You sure?”

“Maybe I need to pray about this for another six months.”

Because sometimes the answer to “God, use me” isn’t a comfortable opportunity wrapped neatly in confirmation.

Sometimes it’s a nudge.

A conversation.

An invitation.

A responsibility.

A door opening that makes your stomach flip.

And sometimes following Jesus means saying:

“Okay, Lord. I’m scared… but yes.”


Obedience Doesn’t Always Feel Confident

I used to think obedience would feel more certain.

Like God would call me to something and suddenly I’d become fearless, completely qualified, spiritually mature, and equipped with a color-coded five-year plan. 😂

But Scripture doesn’t really show us that.

Moses had objections.

Gideon questioned whether he was capable.

Jeremiah told God he was too young.

Esther had to walk into a situation where she genuinely didn’t know what would happen.

Peter had to step out of the boat before knowing exactly how this walking-on-water situation was going to work.

Over and over again, God called ordinary people into situations bigger than themselves.

And maybe that’s intentional.

Because if we were perfectly capable of everything God asked us to do…

we wouldn’t need Him.


“But I’m Not Qualified”

Oh, I’ve got this one. 😂

Maybe you feel like you don’t know enough.

You’re too inexperienced.

Someone else is better at it.

Someone else knows more Scripture.

Someone else speaks better.

Someone else is more confident.

Someone else seems more Christian.

But 1 Corinthians 1:27 says:

“God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.”

God has never been limited to using the person everybody else would pick first.

He sees things we don’t.

And sometimes the question isn’t:

“Am I capable of doing this by myself?”

It’s:

“Will I trust God enough to obey Him?”


Your Yes Might Start Small

When we think about being “used by God,” we tend to imagine something huge.

But maybe your yes is:

Joining the ministry team.

Inviting someone to church.

Praying out loud even though you’re nervous.

Volunteering.

Starting the Bible study.

Sending the encouraging text.

Apologizing first.

Talking to the person sitting alone.

Sharing your testimony.

Opening your home.

Teaching the kids.

Mentoring the teenager.

Telling someone about Jesus.

Maybe nobody applauds.

Maybe it doesn’t become a big story.

Maybe only one person is affected.

One person matters.


Stop Waiting to Feel Ready

Can I tell you something I’ve learned?

Sometimes…

ready never comes.

You can wait for the fear to disappear.

Wait until you know enough.

Wait until your schedule clears.

Wait until you feel spiritually mature enough.

Wait until you’re completely certain.

Wait until somebody else confirms it.

And meanwhile, the opportunity passes.

There are absolutely times when wisdom requires waiting and discerning God’s direction carefully.

But there are also times when we’ve already prayed.

Already sought Scripture.

Already received wise counsel.

Already felt the conviction.

And what we’re calling “waiting on God” is actually…

fear of obeying Him.

Ouch.

Yeah.

That one got me too. 😅


God Can Work With a Nervous Yes

I love this because I think sometimes we imagine God only wants confident people.

But you can say yes with shaky hands.

You can say yes while thinking:

“Jesus, You’re going to have to help me because I have absolutely no idea what I’m doing.”

You can say yes while nervous.

You can say yes while learning.

You can say yes without knowing what step seven looks like.

Sometimes God only shows us step one.

Psalm 119:105 says:

“Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.”

A lamp doesn’t necessarily illuminate ten miles ahead.

It gives enough light for the next step.

Maybe that’s all you need right now.


Your Obedience Isn’t Only About You

This is the part I really want us to remember.

What if somebody else is on the other side of your obedience?

What if the encouragement God keeps nudging you to give is exactly what somebody prayed for?

What if the ministry you’re nervous about joining puts you in the life of a child who needs you?

What if telling your testimony gives someone hope?

What if inviting somebody to church changes the direction of their life?

What if the thing you feel unqualified to do becomes one of the places where God uses you most?

We don’t always get to know.

But I don’t want fear to make decisions that belong to faith.


Obedience Isn’t About Earning God’s Love

And this matters.

We don’t obey God so He’ll love us more.

We aren’t collecting points.

We’re not trying to become impressive Christians.

Jesus said in John 14:15:

“If you love me, keep my commands.”

Obedience flows from relationship.

I obey Him because I love Him.

Because I trust Him.

Because if Jesus is Lord, then my life ultimately belongs to Him.

And sometimes love says:

“Yes, Lord.”

Even before it knows exactly how everything will turn out.


Maybe You’ve Been Praying for a Sign

Maybe you’ve been asking God:

“What do You want me to do?”

And maybe deep down…

you already know what the next faithful step is.

Not the next twenty.

Just one.

Make the call.

Have the conversation.

Sign up.

Serve.

Forgive.

Go.

Stay.

Speak.

Start.

Stop.

Ask.

Tell someone about Jesus.

Whatever obedience looks like in your situation, don’t let fear automatically have the final word.

Take it back to Scripture.

Pray.

Seek wise counsel when you need it.

And then, when you know the next step is faithful…

take it.


Just Give Him Your Yes

You don’t need to know exactly how God will use it.

You don’t need to know where the road ends.

You don’t need to feel qualified.

You don’t even have to feel brave.

Sometimes courage isn’t feeling fearless.

Sometimes courage sounds like:

“Jesus, I’m scared. But if You’re asking me to go, I’ll go.”

And then you move your feet.

Maybe your yes changes someone’s life.

Maybe it changes yours.

Maybe God uses it in a way you won’t understand until Heaven.

But I want to live a life where God doesn’t have to drag a yes out of me.

I want my heart to become so surrendered to Him that when He calls…

my answer is:

“Here I am, Lord.”

Not because I’m capable of everything He might ask.

But because I trust the One doing the asking.

So maybe today the question isn’t:

“God, what is my entire purpose?”

Maybe it’s much simpler.

“Jesus, what does obedience look like today?”

And when He shows you…

give Him your yes. 💜




🪻 A Prayer

Jesus,

I want to be someone You can send.

Forgive me for the times fear has kept me from obedience.

Give me wisdom to recognize Your leading through Scripture, prayer, and godly counsel, and protect me from confusing my own impulses with Your voice.

But when You’ve made the next faithful step clear, give me courage to take it.

When I feel unqualified, remind me that my strength comes from You.

When I feel afraid, help me obey afraid.

When I can’t see the whole road, give me enough faith for the next step.

My life belongs to You.

My gifts belong to You.

My time belongs to You.

Use them however brings You glory.

Here I am, Lord. My answer is yes.

Amen. 💜



Reflection Question

Is there something you already know God is asking you to do—but fear has been keeping you from saying yes?


Don’t worry about step ten yet.

What’s step one?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Years of Praying for a Baby

Why I Keep Saying Yes to Serving

When Your Prayers Don’t Sound Pretty