You Don’t Have to Feel God for Him to Be Near


​Can we talk about something Christians don’t always like admitting?

Sometimes…

I don’t feel God.

There. 😅

There are beautiful moments when His presence feels almost overwhelming.

A worship song hits differently.

A Bible verse feels like it was written specifically for that day.

Prayer comes easily.

You feel close to Jesus.

And then there are other seasons.

You pray…

and don’t feel anything.

You open your Bible…

and nothing jumps off the page.

You worship…

and it’s just a song.

You go to church…

and leave feeling exactly like you did when you walked in.

And somewhere in the silence, a scary little question starts forming:

“God… where are You?”

If you’ve ever felt that way, I want you to know something.

God’s presence is not measured by your ability to feel it.


Feelings Are Real, but They Aren’t Always Reliable

I love emotional moments with God.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with them.

Cry during worship. 🙋🏻‍♀️

Get excited about Scripture.

Feel overwhelmed by God’s goodness.

Those moments are beautiful.

But if my faith only works when I feel close to God, what happens when the feeling disappears?

Our emotions change constantly.

God doesn’t.

Hebrews 13:5 includes this promise:

“Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.”

Notice what God doesn’t say.

“You’ll always feel like I’m near.”

He promises that He is.

There’s a difference.


Even David Asked Where God Was

Sometimes we imagine people in Scripture walking around in a permanent spiritual high.

They weren’t.

Psalm 13 begins:

“How long, Lord? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me?”

David—the man described as being after God’s own heart—had moments when God felt distant.

He didn’t hide that.

He prayed it.

And I love that.

Because apparently “God, I can’t feel You right now” can still be a prayer.


A Quiet Season Isn’t Necessarily a Bad Season

Sometimes we assume that if God feels quiet, something must be wrong.

And yes, there are times when sin affects our fellowship with God and calls for repentance.

But not every spiritually dry day means you’ve done something terrible.

Sometimes faith simply becomes quieter.

Maybe God is teaching us to seek Him because of who He is, rather than because of what we feel when we seek Him.

Think about relationships.

Love isn’t only real during emotional moments.

It’s also real on ordinary Tuesdays.

It’s in consistency.

Presence.

Commitment.

Trust.

Maybe some of our deepest growth with Jesus happens in seasons that don’t feel particularly dramatic.


Don’t Chase a Spiritual High

This is something I think Christians need to be careful about.

Sometimes we can become addicted to the feeling of worship rather than the God we’re worshiping.

We want goosebumps.

Tears.

A powerful moment.

A word that knocks us over.

And again—those experiences can be beautiful.

But Jesus isn’t more present because the bridge of the worship song gave you chills. 😅

And He isn’t less present because it didn’t.

We worship because He is worthy.

Not because we successfully produced an emotion.


Keep Opening the Bible

Maybe Scripture has felt dry lately.

Open it anyway.

Not because you’re checking a box.

Not because God will be angry if you miss a day.

But because His Word is true even when your emotions aren’t cooperating.

Some days you’ll read something and think:

“WOW.”

Other days you’ll read a chapter and think:

“Okay… I read it.” 😂

Keep going.

You’re learning.

You’re planting truth in your heart.

You’re building familiarity with God’s Word.

Not every meal you’ve ever eaten was unforgettable.

It still nourished you.


Keep Praying

And when prayer feels awkward?

Pray awkwardly.

You don’t need to manufacture some emotional experience.

You can literally say:

“Jesus, I don’t feel close to You today. But I know what Your Word says, and I’m choosing to believe You are here.”

That’s prayer.

Maybe you don’t have much else to say.

Sit quietly.

Maybe you cry.

Maybe you don’t.

Maybe nothing dramatic happens.

That’s okay.

God isn’t grading your emotional response.


Faith Sometimes Says “I Know” When Feelings Say “I Don’t Feel”

This might be the heart of the whole post.

There are moments when my feelings say:

“God is far away.”

And Scripture says:

“He will never leave you.”

My feelings say:

“You’re alone.”

Scripture says:

“The Lord is near to all who call on him.”
— Psalm 145:18

My feelings say:

“Nothing is happening.”

And faith says:

“I don’t actually know what God is doing.”

That’s why we need truth.

Because feelings make wonderful messengers…

but terrible gods.


Maybe God Is Closer Than You Think

Maybe you’re reading this during a spiritually dry season.

You miss feeling excited about your faith.

You miss feeling God’s presence during worship.

You miss those moments when prayer seemed easy.

And you’re wondering what happened.

Don’t panic.

Don’t fake it.

And don’t assume God packed His bags and left.

Go back to what you know.

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.

God’s Word is still true.

Prayer still matters.

Grace is still grace.

The Gospel is still good news.

Jesus is still risen.

And if you belong to Christ…

you are still His.

Even on the ordinary day.

Even during the quiet prayer.

Even when worship doesn’t give you goosebumps.

Even when you whisper:

“God, I don’t feel You.”

He isn’t frightened by that sentence.

Tell Him.

And then keep walking.


Faith Isn’t Always a Feeling

Sometimes faith is joyful.

Sometimes faith is emotional.

Sometimes faith has tears streaming down its face during worship.

And sometimes faith looks incredibly ordinary.

It gets out of bed.

Opens the Bible.

Prays.

Goes to church.

Obeys.

Loves people.

Repents.

Keeps following Jesus.

And quietly says:

“Lord, I don’t feel You right now…

but I still trust that You’re here.”

Maybe that’s not lesser faith.

Maybe that’s faith learning how to stand without depending on a feeling.

So if God feels quiet today…

don’t confuse quiet with gone.

You don’t have to feel God for Him to be near.

Keep seeking Him.

He’s still God.

He’s still faithful.

And He’s still worthy.

Even here. 💜




🪻 A Prayer for When God Feels Far Away

Father,

You know I don’t always feel close to You.

Sometimes I pray and feel nothing.

Sometimes I worship and wonder where You are.

Sometimes I wish You would make Your presence unmistakable.

But I don’t want my faith to depend only on my feelings.

Teach me to trust what You’ve said.

When You feel far away, help me keep seeking You.

When Scripture feels dry, help me keep opening Your Word.

When prayer feels difficult, help me keep talking to You.

And when my emotions tell me I’m alone, remind me of Your promise that You will never leave me.

I don’t need to manufacture a feeling tonight.

I simply want to know You.

Whether I feel You or not…

I trust that You are here.

Amen. 💜



Reflection Questions

Have you ever mistaken not feeling God’s presence for God not being present?

What truth from Scripture can you hold onto the next time He feels quiet?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Years of Praying for a Baby

Why I Keep Saying Yes to Serving

When Your Prayers Don’t Sound Pretty