You’re Not Too Far Gone for God to Use You

Have you ever looked at your past and thought:

“God could never use someone like me.”

Maybe you believe He forgives you.

Technically.

You know the verses about grace.

You know Jesus died for sinners.

You’d tell somebody else that their past doesn’t define them.

But when it comes to your story?

That’s harder.

Because you remember everything.

The decisions.

The relationships.

The years you weren’t following God.

The things you said.

The things you did.

The things you wish you could undo.

Maybe there are parts of your story you hope nobody ever asks about.

And somewhere along the way, you’ve decided:

God can forgive me.

But He probably can’t use me.

Friend…

have you read the Bible? 😂

Because God has quite the history of using people with complicated stories.


Scripture Is Full of Messy People

Moses killed a man.

David committed adultery and arranged for a man’s death.

Peter denied knowing Jesus.

Paul persecuted Christians.

The Samaritan woman had a complicated relationship history.

Rahab had a past.

Thomas doubted.

Jonah literally ran in the opposite direction from where God told him to go.

And yet…

God worked through them.

Not because their sin didn’t matter.

Not because God shrugged and said, “Eh, who cares?”

Sin matters.

Repentance matters.

Consequences can remain.

But grace is real too.

God is not limited to using people with spotless histories.

If He were…

He wouldn’t have anybody to use.


Your Worst Chapter Isn’t the Whole Book

I think sometimes we freeze ourselves at our lowest point.

We remember who we were and assume that’s still who God sees.

But 2 Corinthians 5:17 says:

“If anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!”

Jesus doesn’t merely improve us.

He makes us new.

That doesn’t mean your memories disappear.

It doesn’t mean every consequence disappears.

It doesn’t mean you pretend the past never happened.

It means your past no longer gets the final word over your identity.

Jesus does.


Shame Says Hide. Jesus Says Come.

Shame is sneaky.

Conviction says:

“This was wrong. Bring it to God.”

Shame says:

“You are wrong. Stay away from God.”

There’s a difference.

Romans 8:1 says:

“Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.”

When God convicts us, He leads us toward repentance and restoration.

Shame wants us hiding in the corner forever.

And if Jesus has forgiven something…

who are we to keep dragging it back into the courtroom?


Peter Really Messed Up

I think about Peter a lot.

Peter didn’t quietly make a little mistake nobody noticed.

He had boldly told Jesus:

“Even if everybody else falls away, I won’t.”

Then Jesus was arrested.

And Peter denied knowing Him.

Three times.

The man who said he’d never leave Jesus became the man saying:

“I don’t know Him.”

Imagine the shame.

Peter could have decided:

That’s it.

I’m done.

Jesus will never trust me again.

But after the resurrection, Jesus restored Peter.

In John 21, Jesus tells him:

“Feed my sheep.”

Do you see it?

Peter failed.

Jesus restored him.

And then Jesus gave him something to do.

Failure wasn’t the end of Peter’s calling.


Maybe Your Story Can Help Someone

There are things I’ve experienced that I wish I hadn’t.

Maybe you have those too.

And I don’t believe we need to call evil good or pretend every painful choice was somehow necessary.

But I do believe God can redeem things.

Maybe the place where you once struggled becomes the place where you recognize someone else’s struggle.

Maybe you know what shame feels like, so you know how to sit beside someone drowning in it.

Maybe you’ve walked through addiction.

Divorce.

Grief.

Rebellion.

Church hurt.

Failure.

A season far away from God.

Maybe you made choices you aren’t proud of.

And now, because you’ve encountered the grace of Jesus, you can look another person in the eyes and say:

“I know what it feels like to think you’ve ruined everything.”

And then:

“Let me tell you what Jesus did with me.”

That’s a testimony.


You Don’t Need to Make Your Past Sound Pretty

Sometimes Christian testimonies get wrapped up so perfectly:

“I struggled, then I found Jesus, and everything has been wonderful ever since!” 😂

Real life is usually messier.

Following Jesus doesn’t erase every struggle.

Sanctification takes time.

We still need accountability.

We still repent.

We still grow.

And some parts of our past require making things right where possible.

Grace doesn’t mean consequences aren’t real.

But consequences don’t mean grace isn’t real either.

Your testimony doesn’t need a pretty bow.

It just needs to tell the truth about what Jesus has done.


Paul Didn’t Hide Who He Had Been

Paul knew exactly who he’d been.

In 1 Timothy 1, he openly talks about his former life and then points directly toward the mercy of Christ.

His past became evidence of something:

Jesus saves sinners.

That’s the Gospel.

Not:

“Jesus saves people who were already pretty decent.”

No.

Jesus saves sinners.

People like Paul.

People like Peter.

People like me.

People like you.


Stop Disqualifying Someone God Has Redeemed

Maybe God has been nudging you toward something.

Serve.

Lead.

Mentor.

Share your testimony.

Encourage somebody.

Make disciples.

Use your gifts.

And every time, you think:

“Someone like me shouldn’t be doing that.”

Sometimes there are legitimate qualifications, seasons of restoration, accountability, or wisdom that matter—especially in leadership.

But don’t confuse wise restoration with lifelong disqualification.

Don’t let shame make a decision God didn’t make.

If you’ve repented and surrendered your life to Jesus, your identity isn’t:

the worst thing you’ve ever done.

You belong to Christ.


Someone Needs to Hear What Jesus Did for You

Revelation 12:11 speaks about overcoming “by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony.”

Your story isn’t the Gospel.

Jesus is.

But your story can point somebody toward Him.

Maybe somebody needs to hear:

“I wasn’t always like this.”

“I didn’t always follow Jesus.”

“I’ve made mistakes too.”

“I’ve questioned.”

“I’ve failed.”

“I’ve needed grace more times than I could count.”

“And Jesus met me there.”

People don’t need you to pretend you’ve always been perfect.

They need you to point toward the One who is.


God Already Knows the Whole Story

This might be the most freeing part.

You’re not going to surprise Him.

There isn’t a secret chapter of your life Jesus is going to discover later and say:

“WAIT. You did WHAT? Never mind the whole grace thing.” 😂

He knows.

He knew when He called you.

He knew when He saved you.

He knew when He forgave you.

Psalm 139 says God knows us completely.

And still…

He loves.

Still…

He calls.

Still…

He transforms.

Still…

He uses ordinary, imperfect, redeemed people to point others toward an extraordinary Savior.


So Maybe It’s Time to Stop Running From Your Story

You don’t have to broadcast every detail of your past.

Wisdom matters.

Privacy is allowed.

Some stories belong only between you, God, and trusted people.

But you also don’t have to live ashamed of the person Jesus rescued.

Maybe instead of saying:

“Look what I did.”

Your life gets to say:

“Look what Jesus did.”

That’s the difference.

The spotlight isn’t on our mess.

It’s on His mercy.

So if you’ve been sitting on the sidelines because you think God only uses Christians with clean, impressive stories…

look at Scripture again.

God has always been in the business of redemption.

Your past may explain part of your story.

It may have consequences.

It may have scars.

But if you belong to Jesus…

your past does not own you anymore.

You’re not too messy.

You’re not too broken.

You’re not too late.

And you’re certainly not too far gone.

Jesus still saves.

Jesus still restores.

And Jesus still uses redeemed people to tell the world what redemption looks like. 💜




🪻 A Prayer

Jesus,

You know every part of my story.

Nothing is hidden from You.

You know the choices I’m ashamed of, the seasons I wish I could redo, and the things I still struggle to forgive myself for.

Thank You for meeting sinners with grace.

Help me repent where repentance is needed, make things right where I can, and accept the forgiveness You’ve given me.

Don’t let shame keep me from obedience.

If there is a part of my story You can use to help someone else, give me wisdom and courage to share it when the time is right.

Let my life never say, “Look how good I became.”

Let it say:

“Look how good Jesus has been to me.”

Use my life to point people toward You.

Amen. 💜



Reflection Question

Is there something from your past you’ve allowed to convince you that God can’t use you?


What would change if you stopped asking, “How could God use someone with my story?” and started asking:

“Jesus, how can my story point people toward You?”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Years of Praying for a Baby

Why I Keep Saying Yes to Serving

When Your Prayers Don’t Sound Pretty